Prof.Dr.Sencer Ecer (Dept. Chair)
EDUCATİON and ACADEMİC DEGREES
Docent, Inter University Council, Turkey, 2011
The University of Texas at Austin (f.1883), PhD, Economics, 2002, MS Economics, 1999
PhD Dissertation: Incentives in Product Design
Fields: Industrial Organization, Game Theory, Econometrics, Health Economics
Bogazici University (f.1863), Istanbul, Coursework in PhD, Economics, 1997
Fields: Economic Design, Social Choice Theory
Economics Graduate Courses: General Equilibrium (with lectures in Topology), Game Theory, Social Choice Theory, Theory of Binary Relations, International Finance, Real Analysis (M.S. in Mathematics Program)
Bogazici University (f.1863), Istanbul, MA, Economics, 1996
Master’s Thesis: A Comparative Analysis of Social Choice Procedures
Fields: International Trade, Development Economics
Istanbul Technical University (f.1773), BS, Industrial Engineering, 1994
Graduation Project: Competitive Advantage
Senior Year Project: Just-in-Time Production: A Kanban Simulation
Nisantasi Anadolu High School (former English High School, f.1905), Istanbul, 1990
Hurriyeti Ebediye Elementary School (f.1934), Sisli, Istanbul, 1983
EMPLOYMENT (See Appendix A for consulting experience)
Istanbul Technical University
Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Economics, 2/2017 – Present
Associate Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Economics, 5/2013 – 2/2017
Associate Professor, Faculty of Management, Department of Management Engineering,
11/2011 – 5/2013
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Management, Department of Management Engineering
8/2010 – 11/2011. (See Appendix B for supervised master's theses and graduation projects).
Koc University, Istanbul
Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, Spring 2012, Spring 2014
Sabanci University, Istanbul
Adjunct Professor, Department of Economics, Spring 2011, Summer 2011,
Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Spring 2014
LECG, LLC (Law and Economics Consulting Group), Washington, DC
Principal, (Promoted from Senior and Managing Economist), August 2002 – July 2010
Provided economic consulting and expert witness services mainly in Antitrust/Competition Policy, Pharmaceuticals, and International Arbitration. (See Appendix A).
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Adjunct Associate Professor, Public Policy Institute (GPPI), August 2004 – May 2010
Supervised 30 Master of Public Policy theses. (See Appendix C).
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Economics Department, Spring 2006
The University of Texas at Austin
Assistant Instructor (teaching with full responsibility), Department of Economics, Summers 2000 & 2001
Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, 1997-2002 (Doctoral (with Problem Sessions), Intermediate, and Principles of Microeconomics, Industrial Organization)
Research Assistant, Department of Economics, 2000-2002 (Portfolio Behavior of Bond Fund Managers and Money Speculation (with R. Dusansky))
Bogazici University, Istanbul
Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, 1995-1997 (Theory of Binary Relations
(graduate, with Problem Sessions), Econometrics I, Statistics I, Principles of
Research Assistant, Department of Economics, 1995-1997 (Revealed
Comparative Advantage in Agriculture (with G. Evcimen) and Properties of Social Choice Rules (with F. Aleskerov))
- Regulation Contributing to Sustainable Development: The Case of Turkey (with D. T.
Seymour), Industrial Policy and Sustainable Growth in Developed and Developing
Countries, Springer Sustainable Growth Series, (ed.M. Yulek), forthcoming
- A Health Economics Perspective on the Effects of Cognitive Disorders, (in Turkish), (with H. Camas and I. Dastan), in Cognitive Disorders and Dementia (ed. H. Gurvit), forthcoming
- The Shifting Determinants of Defense Spending Preferences between 1980 and 2008 (with N. Veasey), Defence and Peace Economics (SSCI), 2015, 26, 1, 75-88.
- Commercial research at universities and career choices of science and engineering doctoral students (with J. Huang and S. Sarpca), Economics Bulletin, 2014, 34, 2, 850-855.
- The IMF and the Catalytic Effect: Do IMF Agreements Improve Access of Emerging Market Economies to International Financial Markets? (with M. Arabaci), The World Economy(SSCI), 2014, 37, 11, 1575–1588.
- Stage Specific Effects of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, (with S. Khalid), Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, 2013, 2, 2, 110-129.
- An Econometric Analysis of the Remittance Determinants among Ghanaians and Nigerians in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Germany, (with A. Tompkins),International Migration (SSCI), 2013, 51, s1, e53-e69.
- Multimarket Contact in Vertically Related Markets, (with T. Genc), INFOR: Information Systems and Operations Research (SCI), Special Issue on Game Theory in Energy, 2010, 4, 11, 193-280.
- An Econometric Study of Illegal Electricity Connections in the Urban Favelas of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, (with L. Mimmi), 2010, Energy Policy (SSCI), 38, 9, 5081-5097.
- The TRIPS Agreement and Its Effects on the R&D Spending of U.S.-Owned Multinational Companies in Developing Countries, (with D. Akers), 2009, Journal of World Trade (SSCI), 43, 6, 1173–92.
- Advances in Preventing Aircraft Accidents, (in Turkish), (with G. Ay), Journal of Knowledge Economy and Management (Bilgi Ekonomisi ve Yonetim Dergisi), Spring 2009, 4, 1, 85-94.
- A Rational Expectations Critique of Merger Policy Analysis, Economics Letters (SSCI), 2005, 86, 1, 73–77
- A Welfare Analysis of Prohibitions on Reverse Payments in Pharmaceutical Patent Disputes, with and without the Hatch–Waxman Entry Injunction, (with R. Higgins), George Mason Law Review, 2005, 12, 4
- Post–Merger–Blockage Strategic Product Design Changes, American Bar Association Economics Committee Newsletter, Spring 2005
- Sequential Product Design, Netnomics, May 2003, 5, 1, 33–42
- Procedures and models of group decision making, (in Turkish), (with F. Aleskerov), Collective Essays for Prof. Suna Kili (Suna Kili’ye Armagan), Bogazici University Press, 1998, 51–76
- Procedures of Group Decision Making, (in Turkish), (with F. Aleskerov), Financial Notes (Maliye Yazilari), April–June 1997, 55, 18–42
- Are Social Enterprises More Efficient Than Traditional Nonprofits? (with M. Magro and S. Sarpca), 2015, revised and resubmitted
- Optimal Endogenous Merger Policy with Strategic Product Repositioning, 2013
- Optimal Merger Policy with Policy Variant Non-Price Strategies and Deterred Mergers, 2012
- Qualitative Differences in the Moral Hazard Effect of Health Insurance across Medical Services, (with C. Koc), 2012
- The Effect of Systemic Banking Crises on Openness to Trade (with M. Aleksic), 2010
- Regulations and Multi-Factor Productivity: OECD Evidence (with A. Hong), 2010
- Short-term Health Effects of the Business Cycle, (with L. Dippold), 2009
- A Modified Cournot Approach to Distribution Agreements, (with H. Kahwaty, J. Nieberding, C. Tyler, D. Weiskopf), 2008
- Post-merger Brand Sharing in Multi-markets, (with C. Koc), 2006
- The Competitive Effects of a Vertical Merger, (with R. Higgins), LECG, 2003
- Strategic Product Design, University of Texas, 2002
- Bond Fund Money Speculation and Interest Rate,(with R. Dusansky), University of Texas, 2000
- International Clean Energy Symposium, Istanbul, 2016
- Economic Effects of Daylight Saving in Turkey
- European Association for Research in Industrial Economics
- Strategic Product Redesign, Milan, 2014
- Optimal Merger Policy with Policy Variant Non-Price Strategies and Deterred Mergers, Rome, 2012 (also discussant)
- Global Conference On Healthcare Systems Engineering (GCHSE)
- Different Types of Moral Hazard in Health Insurance, August 2014
- European Law and Economics Association (also discussant in all sessions):
- Optimal Endogenous Merger Policy with Strategic Product Repositioning, Stockholm, 2012
- Optimal Merger Policy with Policy Variant Price and Non-Price Strategies, Hamburg, 2011
- International Industrial Organization Conference (also discussant in all sessions, chair in 2004):
- Optimal Endogenous Merger Policy with Strategic Product Repositioning, Washington, 2012
- Optimal Merger Policy with Policy Variant Price and Non-Price Strategies, Boston, 2011
- Multimarket Contact and Collusion across Vertically Related Industries, Boston, 2006
- The Law of Unintended Consequences and Merger Policy, Atlanta, 2005
- A Rational Expectations Critique of Merger Policy, Chicago, 2004
- Price Collusion under Multilevel Contact, Boston, 2003
- New Horizons in Health Economics, Invited Plenary Talk, International Conference on Mathematical Finance and Economics, Istanbul, 2011
- Eastern Economic Association:
- Welfare Effects of Strategic Responses of Firms to Merger Policy Changes, New York, 2011
- International Society for New Institutional Economics: A Rational Expectations Critique of Merger Policy Analysis, Tucson, Arizona, 2004
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS –continued:
- George Mason Law Review Symposium: A Review of the Science Underlying Studies of Obesity, Washington, DC, 2004 (with R. Higgins)
- Midwest Economic Association, Chicago (also discussant): Strategic Product Design, 2002
- 4th Workshop on the Microeconomics of the New Economy, Kiel Institute of World Economics, Germany: Strategic Product Design, 2001
TEACHING (Instruction in English Unless Otherwise Stated)
Istanbul Technical University, Department of Economics (BS Program in Economics)
- Principles of Microeconomics, Fall 2014, Fall 2015
- Principles of Macroeconomics, Spring 2014
Istanbul Technical University, Institute of Social Sciences (Graduate School)
- Advanced Microeconomics (PhD), Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015
- Graduate Microeconomics I (MA, in Turkish), Fall 2011 (with O. Kayalica), Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015
- Graduate Microeconomics II (MA) Spring 2011 (with O. Kayalica), Spring 2012
- Managerial Economics (MBA), Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Fall 2012
Istanbul Technical University-State University of New York (Joint BS Program in Economics)
- Intermediate Microeconomics, Fall 2011, Fall 2012
- Directed Reading, Spring 2011
Istanbul Technical University, Service Courses
- Principles of Economics, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015
- Principles of Economics (in Turkish), Fall 2010-2011, Spring 2011-2012, Fall 2012 (two sections)
Koc University, Department of Economics (BA Programs in Economics and Business Administration)
Health Economics, Spring 2012, Spring 2014
Sabanci University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences (BA Program in Economics and Master of Public Policy Program)
- Health Economics and Policy, Spring 2012, Summer 2012, Spring 2014
Sabanci University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences (BA Program in Economics)
- Health Economics, Spring 2011, Summer 2011
Georgetown University, Public Policy Institute (Master of Public Policy Program)
- Master’s Thesis Workshop, Georgetown University, 2004–2010
Georgetown University, Economics Department (BA Program in Economics)
- Economic Statistics, Spring 2006
The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Economics (BA Program in Economics)
- Economic Statistics, Summers 2000 & 2001
ITU, Continuing Education Center (Certificate Program in Health Tourism)
Health Economics, February 2014
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- FP7 Social Sciences and Humanities Grant, 2014-2017
- FP7 Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant, 2010-2014
- Marie Curie Fellow, 2010-
- TUBITAK Encouragement Award for Participation in EU FP, 2011
- The David Bruton, Jr. Graduate Fellowship 2001-2002 (University of Texas)
- Travel Grant, Kiel Institute of World Economy, 2001
- Travel Grant, Preston McAfee’s Murray S. Johnson Chairship, University of Texas, 2001
- Travel Grant, Dale Stahl’s Malcolm Forsman Centennial Professorship, University of Texas, 2001
- Summer Tuition Fellowships, Dean of Graduate Studies, 1999, 2000 (University of Texas)
- Nominated by LECG as one of the next generation of leading competition economists for the Young Economist Feature of Global Competition Review, 2006, Washington, DC
- Distinction in the PhD Qualification Exam in Microeconomics, 1998 (University of Texas)
INVITED DEPARTMENTAL SEMINARS
ITU Energy Institute (2015), Izmir Economics University (2012), Bilkent University (2011), ITU Energy Institute (2010), Koc University (2010), Sabanci University (2009), Istanbul Technical University (2009), University of Guelph (2006), Bogazici University (1996).
- SEISMIC (EU Project), Turkish National Network Launch Day, September 19, 2014, Istanbul
- ITU EU Research Centre, Marie Curie Information Day, May 26, 2014, ITU
- TUBITAK Marie Curie Information Day, October 8, 2012, Istanbul, Kadir Has University
- ITU EU Research Centre, Marie Curie Information Day, May 17, 2012, ITU
- TUBITAK Research Destination Turkey Workshops (April 10-14, 2012: Washington, New York, Chicago)
FUNDED RESEARCH EVENT PARTICIPATION
- H2020 European Health Brokerage Event, January 13, 2016, Paris (TUBITAK)
- SEISMIC (EU Project), General Assembly, November 24, 2014, Brussels (FP7, SEISMIC)
- H2020 European Health Brokerage Event, July 4, 2014, Lyon (ITU BAP)
- In2Societies 2012 International Brokerage Event, October 5, 2012, Brussels (TUBITAK)
- Active Aging – The Potential for Society, Conference and Brokerage Event, July 9-11, 2012, Dublin (TUBITAK)
FUNDED EVENT PARTICIPATION
- New Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement, IMEDIPA, 6 June 2014, Istanbul
- The Federal Reserve in the 21st Century Operating Targets and Policy Tools, FRB New York, 3-4 March 2013
- English (Fluent), Turkish (Native), French (Reading)
- Stata, Matlab, Gauss, R, LyX, Gnuplot (Unix), LaTeX, MikTex, Scientific Workplace
OTHER ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES:
- Chairman, Workshop on the Economic Impact of LTE Sharing, April 21, 2014, Istanbul
- Scientific Advisory Board, Global Conference On Healthcare Systems Engineering (GCHSE) August 5-8, 2014, Istanbul
- Organizer, Department of Economics Seminar Series, ITU, September 2013-2014 (Raised Funds
from a stock exchange and a high-technology firm)
- Local Organizing Committee, World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, June
28 – July 2, 2014, Istanbul
- Founder and President of Financial Technologies Research Group, Department of Economics, Istanbul Technical University (December 2014 – present)
- Founding Member, Insurance Research Group, Department of Economics, Istanbul Technical University (November 2014 – present)
- Founder and President of Health Economics Research Group, Department of Economics, Istanbul Technical University (April 2014 – present)
- Founder and President of Energy Economics Research Group, Energy Institute, Istanbul Technical University (July 2011 – present)
- Referee: ITU Technology Transfer Office (2015, 3 projects), (2016,)
- Referee: Journal of Economic Theory (2002), International Migration (2008-2011), The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy (2012), Economics Bulletin (2013-)
- Referee: TUBITAK Social and Behavioral Sciences Support Group (2011-)
- Member: American Economic Association (2001-), Industrial Organization Society (2003-)
- Member: Academic Council, Air Transport Management, Istanbul Technical University (2014-)
- Member: Academic Council, Energy Institute, Istanbul Technical University (2010-)
- Organizer: ITU Workshop in Electricity Economics by T. Genc, (funded by TUBITAK, 2012).
MANAGERIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE
- Member, ITU Rectorate, University Academic Incentive Commission (Ad Hoc), December 2015-
- Member, ITU Rectorate, Faculty Performance Evaluation Commission, 09/2015-12/2015.
- Member, Faculty Council, Faculty of Management, ITU, January 2015-
- Vice Chair, Department of Economics, ITU, September 2013- (Revision of Undergraduate and Graduate Economics Curricula, AEA/ASSA Recruitment)
- Member, National and International Ranking Assessment Commission, ITU, 07/2014-12/2014
- Member, University Rental Rate Estimation Commission, ITU, 08/2012-12/2012.
- Presided over or participated in procurement auctions for various units
- Member, University Awards Commission, ITU, 01/2014-11/2014.
- Member, Faculty Commissions on 1) Transfer Students (Since10/2013), 2) Adaptation of Incoming Students (Since10/2013), 3) Fellowship Allocations (Since 10/2013).
- Course Design: Designed the following ABET-compliant undergraduate (U) and graduate (G) courses for Istanbul Technical University for various economics and management programs (2010-2011): Advanced Microeconomics (G), Advanced Macroeconomics (G), Advanced Econometrics (G), Advanced Research Methods (G), Energy Economics (U), Health Economics (U), Industrial Organization (U,G), Game Theory (G), Market Structure and Strategic Behavior (U), Theory of Market Distortions and Regulations (U), Applied Economics (G), Engineering Economics (G), Managerial Economics (G). (2010-)
- Member: Graduate and PhD Applications Interview Committee (2014-), PhD Qualifier Examinations Committee (2014-), English Language Examinations Committee for Assistant Professorship (2013-)
- Manager: LECG Washington DC Office Junior Staff Manager, 2005 to 2010.
- Recruitment Leader: LECG’s Georgetown Univ. National Recruitment Team, 2007-2010
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE: INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING FACTORY INTERNSHIPS
- Arcelik A.S. (Turkey’s Largest Washing Machines Factory), Cayirova, Turkey (1991)
- Alcatel Teletas (Telecommunications Infrastructure and Equipment), Istanbul, Turkey (1992)
- Ustunkarli Marangoz Makinaları Imalat Sanayii (Carpentry Machinery), Izmir, Turkey (1993)
- Makine Takim Endustrisi (Machine Tools Manufacturing), Cayirova, Turkey (1993)
APPENDIX A: Economic Consulting at LECG (2002-2010) and independently or in affiliation with Compass Lexecon after 2010
EXPERT / EXPERT WITNESS ROLES:
Written Expert Testimony (International Arbitration/Litigation/Regulation):
- Court of First Instance, Turkey: Damages, Horizontal Agreements, Exclusionary Conduct (Refusal to Deal, Vertical Foreclosure) (2016-)
- Turkish Competition Authority: Horizontal Agreements, Exclusionary Conduct (Refusal to Deal, Vertical Foreclosure) (with D. Weiskopf) (2016)
- ICSID: Damages (Quantum) analysis in an international treaty arbitration case in oil industry (Central Asia), (2012-2014)
- Republic of Turkey: Investigation of embezzlement accusations for a state institution (2013-)
- Court of First Instance, Turkey: Damages analysis on violation of IP/competition law (2012-2013)
- S. International Trade Commission (ITC): Thermal Transfer Ribbons: Economic Analysis of the U.S. Industry and Market (with A. Wechsler), Economic Expert’s Report, June 25, 2003
- US Circuit Court, Charlottesville, VA: Provided advice on the economics of auctions (retained in testifying capacity, case settled, not testified) (2014).
- (retained by U.S. Department of Justice) US District Court, District of Massachusetts: Economic/statistical analysis for the U.S. Department of Justice, Reverse discrimination issues, (retained in testifying capacity, case settled, not testified) (2008-2009).
- Pre-litigation consulting in Promotion: Discrimination Econometric analysis of pharmacist errors for a mail-order pharmacy.
- Telecom (MNO): Regulatory Consulting (Market Definition, Cost Models, Marginal Termination Rate, On-net Price Controls, Price Squeeze) (2015-)
- Telecom (Vendor): Market Analysis with Smart Technologies (2015-)
- Energy/Feasibility Analysis (Private Equity): Bitumen (2015), Biofuel (2013)
- Energy/Valuation for M&A (Private Equity): Gasoline Distribution and Retail (2014)
- Telecom/Regulatory Consulting (Vendor): Authored Report on the Economic Impact of LTE Sharing in the Mobile Broadband Services Market (2014)
- Impact Analysis/Retail (Fortune 5): Conducted Economic Impact Analysis (RIMS II) of various superstores in California and Nevada for proceedings before city councils, co-authored report for a Fortune 5 company (with L. Hatamiya) (2007)
- American Economy in 2020: Contributed to a White Paper on the investments and actions needed for a Competitive American Economy in 2020 for a Fortune 5 company. Covered areas ranging from improving conventional, unconventional, and renewable energy resources and water resources as well as efficiency in various sectors of the economy (2010).
Competition Policy: Advanced game theoretical analysis in many cases: Extended several oligopoly models to asymmetric costs and differentiated products, produced analytic and simulation results
- Showed that the manufacturer has economic incentives to allow transshipment only under the circumstances opposite to the plaintiffs’ claim (Beverage industry, where a bottler has allegedly transshipped to another bottler’s territory).
- Conducted analysis of a downstream distribution agreement between two leading global producers of a mineral in proceedings before the EC DG Competition.
- Modeled impact of vertical integration in the markets for residential insulation.
- Performed economic analyses of industries: mutual funds, welding, metal forming, consumer credit (Russia).
- Analyzed the impact of countervailing power in an intellectual property case.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Addressed concerns of the DOJ, FTC, or EC DG Competition on unilateral and coordinated effects.
- Conducted Upward Pricing Pressure (UPP) and Critical Loss Analysis (CLA)
- Statistically analyzed scanner data (beverages) and airline data (O&D Hub, Hub Sup data).
- Econometrically analyzed the extent of the market and the effect of upstream merger on distributor competition.
Pricing and Class Certification Analysis in Price Fixing/Cartel cases: Analyzed transaction data to compute net prices (net of complicated rebates, discounts, returns etc.) in time and investigated price movements at the alleged period and analyzed documents and data for product differentiation, cost structures, contracts, price negotiations, profit margins, import competition, and input prices.
Finance & Damages/International Arbitration/Healthcare: Using statistical/econometric and financial/valuation techniques, modeled & computed damages due to alleged anticompetitive conduct, international treaty violation (valuation of oil and electricity assets, regulation of electricity), drug marketing practices not approved by FDA, business interruption, false advertising, delayed entry, breach of contract, overcharges, and asbestos containing material. Significant pharmaceutical industry experience. Advanced time-series econometric analysis in numerous cases.
Executive Compensation: Managed three very high-profile cases. Analyzed macroeconomic conditions during the period where certain collateralized mortgage obligations/real estate mortgage investment conduits (Collateralized Mortgage Obligations (CMO) / Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduits (REMIC)) transactions were conducted.
APPENDIX B: Supervised Master’s theses and Graduation Projects at ITU
Master’s Theses (ITU Social Sciences Institute)
- Private Value Auctions with Budget Constraints, O. Ayaz, 2015
Health Economics; Economics of Pharmaceutical Industry; Pharmacoeconomics
Master’s Theses (ITU Social Sciences Institute)
- The Economic Relation Between Formal and Informal Care in Europe (in Turkish) , H. Camas, 2012
- Analysis of the export capacity of Turkish pharmaceutical sector and determination of policies towards increasing exports (partial funding by Foreign Economic Relations Board – DEİK, in Turkish) (Y. Altinoluk, A. Gurel), 2011
- Reimbursement in health services (in Turkish) (D. Engin), 2011
- Access to care for immigrants in the United States (G. Baykal) (joint program in Economics with SUNY), 2011
- The analysis of unemployment-mental health relationship in the United States (Z. Simsek) (joint program in Economics with SUNY), 2011
- Age effects on health expenditure (B. Ugurlu) (joint program in Economics with SUNY), 2011
- Optimal pharmaceutical pricing (in Turkish) (with O. Kayalıca) (M. Sahin), 2010
Master’s Theses (ITU Social Sciences Institute or Energy Institute)
- Short-term Electricity Price Forecasting in a Deregulated Electricity Market with a Dominant Firm using Game Theory and Supply Function Bidding Strategies, B. Karaman,Energy Institute, 2016
- An Econometric Model of Future Prices and Storage Relationship in the Natural Gas Market, T. Yakan, 2012
- Generation Costs and Market Power in the Turkish Electricity Market, G. Can, 2012
- An Economic Analysis in the Sustainable Energy Sector (in Turkish) (S. Kartal, S. Guvendik), 2012
- A Game Theoretic Model of Competition in an Energy Market (Natural Gas) (A. Albayraktaroglu, A. Kabas), 2011
- Risks and opportunities that the anticipated deepening in Turkish electricity markets will bring (in Turkish) (partial funding: Foreign Economic Relations Board (DEİK)) (S. Obuz, G. Yavas), 2011
- An Analysis of Potential Business Strategies in Response to Low-Cost Carrier Threat (B. Bayramoglu), 2015 (Practicum)
APPENDIX C: Supervised Master of Public Policy Theses at Georgetown University
- Holland’s Failure: How Ethnic Discrimination by Teachers Affects Future Student Success, Mariangela Anzalone, 2010
- The IMF and the Catalytic Effect: Do IMF Agreements Improve Access to International Financial Markets?, Mehmet Arabaci, 2010
- The Effect of Reservations on Caste Persistence in India, Michael Barker, 2010
- Determining High-Risk Candidates for Demand-Side Counter-Methamphetamine Policy Measures, Ben Sprague, 2010
- The Shifting Determinants of Defense Spending Preferences between 1980 and 2008, Nicholas Veasey, 2010
- The Effect of Banking Crises on Openness to Trade, Matthew Aleksic, 2009.
- Quantifying Moral Hazard in Health Insurance across Medical Services for the Near-Elderly, Annie Carlin, 2009.
- Regulation and Multi-Factor Productivity Growth: Non-Manufacturing Industry Evidence from OECD Countries, Aram Hong, 2009.
- Effects of Tax Policy on Economic Growth in OECD Countries, Ioan Ifrim, 2009.
- Price Response in the Domestic Airline Industry to Entry by a Low-Cost Carrier: An Econometric Examination of the JetBlue Airways Experience, Edward Choe (joint degree with Law), 2008.
- The Relationship Between Housing Market Wealth and Savings, Askar Darmenov, 2008
- Unlocking Development: An Analysis of the Government’s Role in Access to Financing for Firms in Emerging Economies, Rachel Doyle (joint degree with MBA), 2008.
- Career Patterns of Science and Engineering Students in the Era of Doctoral Entrepreneurial Universities, Youxin Huang, 2008.
- Demand-Driven Solutions To Illegal Electricity Connections- A Preliminary Evaluation of the ‘Conviver’ Program in the Urban Favelas of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Luisa Mimmi, 2008.
- Remittance Determinants among Ghanaians and Nigerians in the United States, United Kingdom, and Germany, Andrea Tompkins (joint degree with Law), 2008.
- Government Subsidies for Technology Development Projects and their Impact at Company Level: The Chilean Experience, Jose Arellano, 2007.
- Supreme Court Decision-Making: An Analysis of the Court's Criminal Docket and the Role of Ideology, Brian Baak (joint degree with Law), 2007.
- Explore, Compare and Contrast the Determinants of Venture Capital Investments in Different Sectors of the American Economy, Salman Khalid, 2007.
- Are Social Enterprises More Efficient Than Traditional Nonprofits? Mark Magro, 2007.
- Global Antidumping Use: Retaliation or Policy Learning? Jason Pau, 2007.
- Broadband and Work Habits, Jennie Sparandara, 2007.
- The TRIPS Agreement and Its Effects on the R&D Spending of U.S.-Owned Multinational Companies in Developing Countries, Darnita Akers, 2006.
- Managing Urban Sprawl: Does Growth Management Reduce the White/Black Income Gap? Monica Bosson, 2006.
- Bellwether Health Effects of Transitory Economic Fluctuations, Laurie Dippold, 2006.
- The Effect of Union Density on Multi-Factor Productivity Growth, Kelly Duval (joint degree with MBA), 2006.
- Inequality among Neighbors: Understanding Foreign Direct Investment in India as a Function of Regional Determinism within India, Ritija Gupta, 2006.
- Factors Related to Passenger and Crew Survivability in Aircraft Accidents in the United States, Kenji Toyama, 2006.
- Democracy and Education: A Post-Soviet Case Study, Mark Dalton, 2005. (Practicum)
- Section 201 Tariffs on Steel: The Impact on Domestic Prices, Michael Mathog, 2005. (Practicum)
- The Effect of Geographic Conditions on U.S. Economic Development, Kabir Shah, 2005. (Practicum)
- Responsive Democracy; Measuring Foreign Opinions of the United States: An Econometric Analysis of the Pew Global Attitudes Survey, Ryan Tuggle, 2005. (Practicum)