“Foreign Direct Investment, Investment Promotion and Economic Development”
Department of Economics, Istanbul Technical University
25-26 October 2018
The Department of Economics at Istanbul Technical University will organize a two-day academic conference on Foreign Direct Investment on 25-26 October 2018. The conference will be convened with the support of the Investment Support and Promotion Agency of Turkey (ISPAT) and İTÜNOVA Technology Inc. The purpose of the conference is to encourage theoretical and empirical academic research on various aspects of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). This year’s theme is “Foreign Direct Investment, Investment Promotion and Economic Development.” In this context, we invite scholars and senior graduate students from all relevant disciplines around the world to submit abstracts for paper presentations. In addition, papers prepared on specific themes outlined below will be awarded by ISPAT.
Papers (both theoretical and empirical) examining the relationship between FDI, investment promotion and economic development can be submitted to the conference. In particular, those studying the following topics are particularly encouraged:
- What is the role of FDI in economic growth and development in developing/emerging economies?
- How does FDI contribute to employment, technological infrastructure, and research and development (R&D) as well as high technology production in developing/emerging economies?
- What kind of policies should developing/emerging economies pursue to enhance the contribution of FDI to achieve specific development objectives including exports capacity building, technology transfer and employment creation?
- What are the connections and synergies between FDI, investment promotion, development/industrial policies and localization?
- What are the empirical findings in emerging economies with regard to the linkages between localization, FDI, and economic development? Are there any best practices that other developing/emerging economies can learn?
- Should developing and emerging economies incentivize particular forms of FDI in order to enhance the role of foreign investments on innovation, technology transfer and job creation?
- What is/should be the role of FDI in developing economies’ development and industrial policies?
- Which policies, instruments and strategies make FDI a key element of economic development in countries such as Ireland? Can those countries’ governmental incentives, subsidies and promotion policies establish a precedent for developing/emerging economies like Turkey?
- In order to avoid the middle income trap, which policy or instruments should Turkey prioritize in its investment and promotion policy?
Best academic papers involving a focus on Turkey with regard to FDI, investment promotion and economic development will be awarded by the Investment Support and Promotion Agency of Turkey (ISPAT). These papers may include a comparative empirical perspective involving Turkey or an application of theories to Turkey. In particular, papers presenting a comparative analysis of Turkey with other emerging economies or best practice countries to produce policy recommendations for Turkish policy-makers are encouraged to apply.
- 1st degree: ₺ 12,000
- 2nd degree: ₺ 8,000
- 3rd degree: ₺ 5,000
Best graduate (one prize each for Master’s and PhD degree) student paper: 2 x ₺ 2,000
Submission and Deadlines
All abstracts must be written either in English or Turkish. An abstract should be between 800 and 1,000 words and include a list of references (not included in the word count). It should provide a clear outline of the purpose of the paper including clearly stated research question(s), some details about research methodology and (preliminary) results. The submitting author must provide the full names, affiliations, and e-mail addresses of all co-authors for each submission.
Abstracts should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 August 2018. Authors of the accepted abstracts will be notified by 14 September 2018, and final drafts will be due by 5 October 2018 to be included in the program.
There is no registration or attendance fee for the conference. Attendees are responsible for their travel and accommodation expenditures.
Questions regarding abstract submission or conference can be directed to Dr. Serdar Altay (email@example.com) or Dr. Aysegul Kayaoglu (firstname.lastname@example.org).